When I Got Salmonellosis


I didn’t know I had salmonellosis until I was well again.

Before I had salmonellosis, I was coughing constantly, so I was given allergy medicine, just in case I had some sort of allergy I didn’t know I had. Well, soon after I took the medicine, I started getting ear infections. I thought I was going deaf.

Soon it got so bad we had to go see a doctor. He said I had a bad ear infection. We showed him the allergy medicine and told him the story about my coughing, and he studied the medicine and found out that one of the side effects is a lowered immune system. So he prescribed me some medicine and told me to eat a cod liver vitamin or something everyday.


hen we went to Safeway to get the medicine.

I tried going to school the next day, but had to go home because my ear hurt again.

But the next Saturday my ear didn’t hurt anymore so I thought that day would go well. It didn’t. I was watching Spongebob and out of nowhere it felt like my stomach was going to explode and I had a huge headache. My mom’s friend was over, too (she’s also our neighbor), and I started crying in pain, so my mom’s friend left. My mom sprinted up the stairs and I told her what was wrong. Soon after that I got sick and stayed in bed all day.

That night sucked. I kept wishing I would fall asleep. I finally did after awhile.

The next morning, nothing changed. My dad offered me some soup, and I had a couple of spoonfuls, but even though I was hungry, I felt too weak to eat. That Sunday, I just slept all day and ate crackers and ginger ale.

The next day, my dad had to go to Phoenix to record some songs. So it was just my mom and me.

I lost total track of time. I couldn’t remember what day it was. It felt weird.

While I was in bed my mom kept trying to feed me this yogurt called bio-k or something and I hated it. I felt worse and weaker.

My mom got us a DVD and some smoothies. I drank my smoothie and watched the movie with her. I thought I was getting better, but I wasn’t.

That night I slept with my mom. I finally fell asleep after awhile. The next thing I knew, my mom was pacing around the room at 11:30 pm and talking on the phone and I heard her say in a worried tone, “She’s awake now.”

I asked her what was going on, but she kept pacing and talking on the phone. I looked at my sleeves and there was blood all over them. I started freaking out so I looked in the mirror that was across the room. The lower half of my face was covered in blood, and I stared at the girl covered in blood in the mirror. I looked like I came straight out of a horror movie.

I could tell it was just a nose bleed, but I guess my mom thought it was something more serious which led her to calling an ambulance.

After more talking on the phone she finally hung up and hugged me. I told her everything was okay and it was just a nosebleed, but it was too late. I heard that stupid loud ambulance outside my house that was waking up all the neighbors because of me. I felt really guilty about that.

My mom ran downstairs when she heard the ambulance. I heard her open the door and immediately heard three voices say, “Hi.”

There were three people taking me to the hospital because of a nosebleed. I felt really bad.

When they came up to my room I could tell they were kind of disappointed. Two were men and one was a girl and it looked as if they were firemen.

My mom came into the room last with a really worried face. The emergency people picked me up and put me on a stretcher outside my house and pulled the stretcher into the ambulance. It was really comfortable in there.

Inside, the ambulance was roomy and shiny. Everything was either red, black, white or metallic.

They put a blood pressure cup around the top of my arm and said some number I can’t remember and the girl wrote the number down.

We told them about the allergy medicine. But then I realized I wasn’t coughing anymore because it hurt. I could control it now. So I figured my coughing was psychosomatic. All this happened because of me and I felt really guilty for it.

I told them my coughing was psychosomatic. My mom answered more of their questions and I looked out the window. It seemed as if we were going a hundred miles per hour. I saw those big green highway signs whizzing by. I stared out the window watching the world go by for awhile until someone told me we were at the hospital.

Someone opened the ambulance door and I was pulled out on my stretcher. My stomach was still hurting badly and I still felt all bloody.

Outside it was warm. But I didn’t care that much. I was rushed through an entrance about the size of a garage door.

Everything was way more different than outside. It was white and bright. I didn’t have much time to check everything out because I was immediately turned into a hallway. Then more hallways. Then, finally, my little room. It was really loud in the hospital. There was a lot of beeping. I was annoyed by it.

A nurse closed the door. “Hi, I’m Cathy,” she said. She talked with the emergency people and said to me, “Poor thing.”

For some reason, they told me I needed to take some x-rays. I didn’t know why and felt too weak to ask them.

I had to get out of my bed and walk with the nurse to the x-ray room. I didn’t want to walk. It hurt too much. So I limped to the x-ray room.

When we got there, the beeping finally stopped. It was quiet for once. My mom held my hand and another nurse popped out from behind a big machine.

“Hi,” she said with a big smile. She had to take off my necklace from which a cross dangled because it interfered with my x-ray photos. I didn’t like that. I had had it on for 68 days without taking it off.

She put this heavy vest thing on me and we took some x-rays.

When we were done the nurse thanked me and told me she hoped I’d get better soon.

We went through more hallways and when I saw my bed I was relieved. It was 12:15 a.m. and I was tired.

Cathy came in and told me I was badly dehydrated and that she had to put some fluid in me and it involved needles. So she left and came back with watery looking stuff in a clear bag. She stuck a needle in the crook of my arm and it stung really badly. She told me that it didn’t work and she had to do it in my other arm. She did it in the other arm and it felt as if it hurt even more. I heard the fluid go into my veins. It sounded sort of like a leaking sink. Then I heard a nurse say, “Can you remember the date?” frantically in a room nearby. I didn’t hear an answer.

Every couple of hours a nurse would refill the fluid. All I heard was beeping and nurses. I felt as if I was in a movie.

I held my mom’s hand the whole time and told her everything was going to be okay.

I fell asleep and woke up to another nurse. She asked me if I wanted to watch a movie, and I told her yes.

She left the room and came back with a portable TV and some movies.

I had two choices: Teletubbies or Casper the Friendly Ghost. I chose Casper the Friendly Ghost.

A doctor came into the room and told me they were still figuring out what my sickness was. He prescribed me something I can’t remember and told me to drink lots of fluids and that I was free to go.

Cathy came in and took the needle out and I thanked her. I liked Cathy. She was nice. We were led to an office and my mom and the secretary discussed payment. I didn’t pay much attention.

I felt a lot better. Although my stomach still hurt, I was glad I came.

The secretary called a cab, we thanked her, and by the time we were outside, the cab was there.

The driver didn’t seem too horrified by the blood on my shirt and face, so I figured he was used to it.

I stared out the window some more, going over my whole night.

When we were home, my mom thanked the driver, paid him, and we went inside my house.

The clock read three-eleven a.m. I’d had a huge night.

For the next three days I got better quickly.

When I was better the County Health Department called us and told us I had salmonellosis and asked us a lot of questions so they can prevent other people from getting salmonellosis.

When I was better I researched salmonellosis on the Internet. It said that some people got so dangerously dehydrated by it that they had to be taken to the hospital. I was one of those people.

It also said that in severe cases the salmonella may spread from the intestines to the blood stream, and can cause death. I was not one of those people.

September 29, 2008

Top of page